Do you regularly question your values?
The definition of self-doubt is the lack of confidence and constant uncertainty about yourself and your abilities.
Why do you question yourself?
Are you constantly uncertain of your abilities and decisions?
Usually this starts in childhood and as an adult it can cause low self-esteem which would have originated from continually receiving negative feedback that your thoughts, feelings, behaviour are wrong. Leading to constant self-doubt and questioning yourself.
Choose to control self-doubt and not view failure as an option
- When negative thoughts creep into your mind about a situation or person or something that has happened ~ the key is to remain focused on what is happening right now.
- To effectively learn how to overcome self-doubt ~ stay in the moment and do not beat yourself up with past failures.
- Start to think positive thoughts, manage your time, look at tasks as building blocks – one block at a time. And not at how daunting something seems.
- Be self-aware. Find out where the root is and the triggers.
- Have a daily plan. While you learn to manage your fear and anxiety.
- Distract yourself when you need to. Take time to enjoy nature and have a break to re-energise then return to the task.
- Choose a circle of people around you that are uplifting and inspiring. Positive interactions with other people is so important.
- Find ways to self-motivate. Introduce prompts to uplift and inspire yourself throughout the day.
- Stop making excuses or procrastinating. Decide to do things now.
- Instead of criticising yourself all the time. Start to balance emotions by being kind to yourself, being understanding and helping yourself to stop letting your insecurities hold you back. You are the only person that gives permission to allow anything or anyone to hurt you.
- Be yourself and find yourself. Start to trust yourself and the choices and decisions you are making. You don’t have to seek validation from others all the time. You can get advice, but ultimately you have the final say.
- Do you need to talk about your plans to others? A close circle is all you need. There should only be a few people you trust totally.
- Where does your value lie? Is your identity rooted in your faith in Christ? This is the foundation to changing the hurtful cycle that may have held you down for years.
- Start a journal, build it with art, pictures, collage, words and anything that will build up positive points about you. Don’t forget to keep reminding yourself when self-doubt creeps in.
- Pray first by taking everything to God. He is the most trusted Counsellor you will ever need.
- Build your self-confidence skills through new and practiced actions.
- Breathe in courage, breathe out fear by balancing logic and intuition.
- Realise that if you want to succeed you might have more critics than fans.
- The discomfort of weird feelings will subside as you make new choices and overcome the imposter syndrome.
- And when you hit a brick wall, don’t believe the looming shadows of self-doubt unexpectedly clouding your path, look up and keep going.
- I’ve commanded you to be strong and brave. Don’t ever be afraid or discouraged! I am the Lord your God, and I will be there to help you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9 CEV)
- The Lord will fight for you, and you won’t have to do a thing. (Exodus 14:14 CEV)
- Do what the Lord wants, and he will give you your heart’s desire. (Psalm 37:4 CEV)
In the end…
All self-doubt does is hold you back, permit you to repeat the excuse mindset and never take ownership of your destiny. So that your life is continuously postponed until tomorrow, next week or next year. Shadowing your dreams and blurring your ideas with flaws.
By reconnecting, you can stop fooling yourself and not choose inaction when your willpower depletes by enhancing your self-confidence. Use the 5 second rule, by controlled breathing and then go out there and be brave!