Why Roadblocks In Life Are Not Obstacles But Detours To Another Way

Photo by THE AFRONAUTZ on Unsplash

Do you question the purpose of detours?

Most days when we jump into our car in the morning, we never think, ‘I might run into a detour today’. We plan our journey and the main goal is arriving at our destination. Whether we know the route by heart or we have to rely on our GPS or satnav. Roadblocks in life may seem like obstacles, but they are a means to navigate us onto a different route.

Unfortunately, detours will happen. A road is closed for essential roadworks or an accident has occurred and we have directions for a diverted route. Or perhaps we might have to take a U-turn. Either way, all of this is unexpected and usually puts us out of step. Leaving us to gather our thoughts. And mentally try to figure out the fastest route to our destination.

Being stalled is not much fun. From diversions caused by accidents to being slowed down. For key services to clear any wreck or damage that needs to be appropriately avoided. In our journey of life, detours can provide needed insight if we are to grow and improve our compentency towards progressive expertise on the path we are travelling along.

Whether you want to accept this or not, the purpose of detours is beneficial, to assist us even if we cannot understand this at the time.

Could a detour in your life be a good thing even though right now it feels so bad?

When God steps into our lives and interupts it with His divine purpose. His diversion is designed to lead us down a better way in order to reach our destination. In the process, we have an opportunity to evolve and expand as we advance in continual development. However, if we miss this, then we might not determine the usefulness of the detour.

Have you been that person who has sat at a detour sign and contemplated proceeding, even if the sign says – Road Closed Ahead?

There is no doubt you would end up nowhere. Or driving around in circles if you chose to be stubborn and ignore the sign.  Most times diversions take a longer time than what we had planned. But, often not much longer than if we had tried to pursue the original way with a clearly diverted traffic sign.

It might feel like a hindrance to your plans. Or baffling if you are trying to figure why you find yourself in the middle of a detour. Especially if you think this should not be happening or was something you did not want to transpire. But, there is a reason and it can provide two key tools to assist you in your development.

1| Safety

When you view this in the short-term, you might consider all the delays a detour has caused you and fly into a state of frustration, agitation and impatience. But, with the bigger picture in mind, your perspective matters and will influence your mood and the impact a detour has on your overall maturity and advancement through trying circumstances.

Recently, I have faced a detour. I badly injured my ankle and am unable to do even the simpliest things I once took for granted. I have been confined to inability and discomfort. With medical advice saying it could take weeks, now limited, getting around on crutches is not as simple as I thought. And as I contemplate all the questions surrounding this situation. I could choose to complain. All my plans are now on hold. But instead, I am not allowing this temporary roadblock to stop me from doing what I can do. While seeking to understand God’s purpose and what He is trying to teach me at this junction.

2| Improvement

If you are a planner like me, then you will have an itinerary for nearly every scenario in life. From to-do lists to schedules to apps that manage your time. We revel on efficiency and the need to move forward at a steady pace. One thing we never plan for is the chaos and changes that diversions in our life bring. And of course that detours happen on purpose. Yet, sometimes that is exactly the method God uses to guide us in His direction and route. Along many diversions in the course of our life.

There is a reason for what you are going through right now. God is preparing and developing you to position you in the perfect stance. Of His intentions and purposes for you. Because God has a plan for your life. You are not a mere existence. And at every step His longing for you is that you utilise the talents, treasures and time He has granted you to advance His aspirations in your life.

Most times self-development is a long process. From enhancing your talents, to gaining wisdom in managing your time, to increasing where your focal point is for any treasures. In line with the destiny God has outlined for your path.  Steering you from ignorance to maturity.

How do you turn adversity into advantage?

More than anything God longs to grant you the desires of your heart. And the primary one is He longs for you to be all that you can and should be. But, like a loving Father, He knows we require lessons and space for development in reaching our destiny.

One key element is to understand why what you are experiencing is a detour. And that any roadblock is not the end. Rather a chance to open a new door away from impatience, regrets or doubts to pursue specific personal growth. By chasing a relationship with God that cultivates more of His character in you. (Galatians 5:22-23)

Allow each diversion to become a choice where you recognise that this is not a pointless cycle, but a prospect to know that if we commit our way to God. (Psalm 37:5) Then why do we doubt God instead of trusting all our actions (Proverbs 16:3) to Him when we find ourselves in the middle of a detour.

Take a moment to simply pause in the difficulty and confusion. It might be painful or awkward. It could be paralysing or uncomfortble. But here God offers an opportune moment for His divine guidance to direct you. On the path of purpose He has destined for you to follow. Ask God to use the diversion you are experiencing to positively impact your life. And open your eyes to areas He wants to deal with. Both from your past and now in the present.

I aim to seek God first so that I approach detours in a manner where I align my heart to His. Not to cause additional delays, but for my insight and patience to be stretched. As well as an increase in wisdom, to not repeat missteps made and implement any lessons learnt.

Share your thoughts…

How do you navigate the detours life presents you with? In what ways are you choosing to trust God with the roadblocks in your life path?

Shop Face Masks & Hand Sanitisers

Ava
Ava

Don’t know where to start? Practice makes perfect and you only get once chance to be the best version of yourself! Now is the time to invest in being you. Infuse every moment with beauty. Influence every God-given dream into your destiny. And impress your tomorrow with hope and expectancy. I have an undying passion for life and words are such a great way to spark this. Join me on a journey where the sky is the limit!

Find me on: Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

Help Share The Inspiration!
THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS

46 Comments

1. July 8, 2020 / 2:38 pm

So sorry about your ankle. Alas, a detour. But God…He has a plan, and we seem to learn better in the detour. Eventually, we do end up back on the path a little more humble and wiser than before.

2. Ava
    July 8, 2020 / 3:19 pm

I agree! Thanks so much for your encouragement Julie!

3. July 8, 2020 / 5:50 pm

Amen, Ava. I’ve had so many times when God has allowed a detour across my path. I’ve been the one who tried to forge forward with my plans anyway. And, I’ve been the one who went in circles trying to circumnavigate the detour. In the end though, when I yield to the changes God allows to my plans, I find I’m much more at peace and that He teaches me things I never knew I needed when I got to my destination.

4. Ava
    July 8, 2020 / 6:20 pm

Thanks Jeanne, your encouragement is an inspiration to me!

5. July 9, 2020 / 1:59 pm

My life has been flipped upside down in recent days. And I definitely cannot face these times alone. But everywhere I’ve turned recently, I see words of encouragement and signs of God’s love. Yes, the road ahead is going to be rough, but knowing God is there is my rock and comforter as long as this detour lasts. Thank you for your encouragement today.

6. July 9, 2020 / 4:09 pm

Psalm 32:8 is always a go to verse for me to remind me in times when I feel out of God’s purpose.
    Amidst the delays and detours ,God has been faithful to remind that I AM IN HIS HANDS! My life and my purpose are all in his hands.

7. Ava
    July 9, 2020 / 7:35 pm

I am praying with you for whatever you are facing. I debated posting this as long didn’t want it to be about my situation, but so glad it has encouraged you ❣

8. Ava
    July 9, 2020 / 7:36 pm

Yes Zamy 💯we are in God’s hands and that is the most secure place to be!

9. July 10, 2020 / 1:17 pm

I believe that roadblocks and obstacles are all designed to teach us, purify us and bring us closer to God. My biggest roadblock is an illness that led to quadruple amputations. I had to course correct in a huge way. But there is no doubt in my mind that these amputations were meant to grow my witness and bring me closer to the Lord. As much as the struggle was completely difficult it was an even bigger blessing, if you can imagine that. So in my mind roadblocks lead to blessings.

10. Ava
    July 10, 2020 / 3:34 pm

Thanks Wendy! Your testimony is so inspiring!

11. Adriana David
    July 13, 2020 / 7:11 pm

Ava, Thank you so much for writing this. Your article impacted me greatly. As a person who has had my own set of “detours” in life, it certainly has been important to keep my eyes on God. Love the quote from Joni, too!

12. Ava
    July 13, 2020 / 7:27 pm

I am so grateful Adriana for your honest feedback, how important it is when we have God to hold onto!

13. July 13, 2020 / 10:02 pm

Yes, God certainly uses detours to shape us and mold us. What a wonderful way to look at life and achieve his purposes–by accepting and recognizing that these detours are not roadblocks. They are not an end, but just a method used by God to grow us.

14. Ava
    July 14, 2020 / 8:51 am

Absolutely and God always has a plan bigger than the one we have!

15. jonisteinauer
    July 14, 2020 / 3:30 pm

This was such a good read! It is always important to ask God what He is trying to teach us as we go through detours. Sometimes, there is a lesson. Sometimes, there is protection. Blessings, Joni

16. Ava
    July 14, 2020 / 4:02 pm

Thanks Joni! And yes l am continuing this topic tomorrow. I definitely think God uses detours to equip us!

17. purposefilledstories
    July 14, 2020 / 7:31 pm

Thank you, I don’t find detours easy and find u can be a bit stroppy about it but I’m learning to seek God in all circumstances, to learn what he has for me

18. Ava
    July 14, 2020 / 7:33 pm

Thanks for sharing, l agree it is hard but trusting God and letting go is the key.

19. July 14, 2020 / 11:34 pm

Oh, those detours can be so frustrating! And I’m so stubborn sometimes! But, I’m learning that God has my very best at heart. Looking back on my life I can see how God guided me through detours as a way of keeping me on His path.

20. July 15, 2020 / 5:21 am

Love this! In the moment, these roadblock and detours can seem so frustrating. Yet, when we look back on them we see how God was working to use them for our good.

21. July 15, 2020 / 12:17 pm

I can relate with the ankle injury. I fractured my right ankle a few years back which meant no driving for 6 weeks. I really had to lean on friends and neighbors for help shuffling kids around and get me to appointments while my husband worked. It was tedious but I remember the overwhelming gratitude the most! God certainly didn’t orchestrate my injury, but God did use the detour to strengthen and encourage me.

22. Ava
    July 15, 2020 / 1:30 pm

Thanks Rachel! This is encouraging. I am certainly learning to lean more and more on God at this time.

23. Donna Miller
    July 15, 2020 / 1:33 pm

I love this! God detoured me many times in my life, the biggest time was landing me on my back in the hospital the night before I was going to abort my baby. God sent a Christian supervisor to my bedside the next morning, and he talked to me about how much God loved me and would help me raise my baby. God’s detours are always for something better on the horizon. Love this post … ❤

24. July 17, 2020 / 1:06 pm

Your post is uplifting because roadblocks can definitely feel like obstacles in life. I love how you explain that they are detours to accept and we still need to make plans (even if they are different plans from before) to embrace life. Excellent post!

25. Ava
    July 17, 2020 / 2:31 pm

Thanks Barbara! So glad you found this uplifting!

26. Ava
    July 17, 2020 / 2:34 pm

That is so amazing Donna! I am trusting God is safeguarding me for a reason but will only know in time ❤

27. Ava
    July 17, 2020 / 2:35 pm

Yes and so true Megan! I look forward to looking back and seeing God’s plan in what He is teaching me!

28. Ava
    July 17, 2020 / 2:36 pm

That is so encouraging! Thanks Summer!

29. July 18, 2020 / 8:45 am

I really love the idea that in ALL things including detours, God works for the good of those who love Him ☺️ I think that is so comforting especially when the unexpected hits!

30. Betty Rojugbokan
    July 18, 2020 / 8:52 am

Hopefully your ankle feels better by now. I understand the concept of detours and while we may not see the bigger picture, we have to continue trusting that God knows it all.

31. July 18, 2020 / 1:53 pm

Definitely agree with this. Learning to lean unto God and understand His will helps us focus and recognize when those detours come up.

32. Ava
    July 18, 2020 / 2:37 pm

Thanks Betty it will be a while, but trusting God has a plan for this phase!

33. Ava
    July 18, 2020 / 2:37 pm

Absolutely and to not giving up!

34. Jessie
    July 19, 2020 / 1:42 am

God is always leading us, even when things don’t make sense. We don’t usually like being turned around but it is for our safety and improvement!

35. Ava
    July 19, 2020 / 11:41 am

That’s awesome! So true we spend more time trying to figure why. Thanks Jessie!

36. July 19, 2020 / 8:59 pm

I love knowing that even when my plans change or something happens that I did not expect- God never changed. He is always the same. No matter what happens, He loves me and will show me the way if I seek after Him.

37. Ava
    July 20, 2020 / 2:16 pm

So true Anne, and here is where we trust God more!

38. July 20, 2020 / 8:19 pm

God uses adversity in amazing ways. Its not always fun but looking back at it later and peicing together all He accomplished and how is a sobering experienc .

39. July 20, 2020 / 10:49 pm

In every setback is an opportunity for growth.

40. Ava
    July 24, 2020 / 11:36 pm

Thanks Alonda, l’m looking forward to that moment but appreciating where God has me!

41. Ava
    July 24, 2020 / 11:37 pm

I agree with you Mamie!

42. Sandra
    July 25, 2020 / 1:45 am

When we lived in Belgium we used to experience many detours as we drove along and different times even they gave me ideas of things to write about. In life we have had some big detours and God has always been in them.

43. Ava
    July 25, 2020 / 4:49 pm

Indeed ou very faithful God! Thanks for reading Sandra!

44. August 6, 2020 / 4:58 am

Detours are important because we are already out of the will of God and heading for trouble. By Christ loving mercies He create the detour to steer us back on the right path. At times we may not understand what is happening to us but once we know God has created the roadblock and it is for our good then we will have peace. I have experience some detours and I thank God for doing it all. Roadblocks can keep us alive.
    Our God is an all wise God.

45. Ava
    August 6, 2020 / 8:01 am

I think they teach us different truths and safeguard us. Thanks for commenting!

46. August 6, 2020 / 9:43 pm

You are welcome Ava. That is true and God knows what is best for us.