Once upon a time, life had less choice. Simple meant that it was easier to decide how to plan a wedding. Where you were having your ceremony. Where you were having your reception. Now with hundreds of styles and concepts. Ideas and suggestions. Sometimes it can be difficult to decide your perfect fit. Do I like this? Or maybe that. And before you know it. You might be more confused.
So where do you begin. What do you do next.
- Set your budget. Write it down. Create a mood board. Choose a written planner or download an app. To help place suggestions together. At this stage planning helps make everything realistic.
- Start with your stationery. Build your ideas, then piece them together. Coordinate your invitations with your flowers. And your favours. Place hints on your stationery to your guests. Then use the same for signage from save the date cards to invitations. Menus to table settings. And thank you cards.
- Begin with the ceremony. Decide where you would like to get married. Is it a church. Registry office. Or perhaps make this formality before your reception.
- Talk about who would fit into your bride tribe. Before you choose your bridal party. Reflect on outfits, bouquets, buttonholes, gifts.
- Plan your guest list. Who is important to you. Due to costs, it isn’t always possible to invite everyone.
- Find wedding suppliers. Browse lots of options. Magazines. Shows. Online. For your floristry. Photography. Food. And fizz. Cake. Favours. Decorations.
- Keep it uncomplicated. View reception venues. To draw inspiration and ideas. From the experts. Or from other weddings. Imagine what you want. Small or elaborate. Informal or formal. Do you want a drinks reception. Or 3 course menu. Food and sweet carts. Spend a fair bit of time deliberating over the food choices. Snacks and treats. Sketching this from the time your guests arrive till they leave.
- Sending out your Save the Date cards. And creating your RSVP list. Is a key to consider now. As it will assist you in devising your table plans.
- If you opt for a church wedding, allow enough time for all the legal proceedings. Then how you will choose to decorate the church. Plan time between the wedding and reception for some photos. And minute touches like travelling between venues.
Wedding photos are a big part of the day. To capture your forever moments. From angles and ways you never considered. Who will do this plays a big part of looking back and remembering your day.
- Then consider decorations. Inside and outside. Hanging or draped. Flowing or layered. Visualise the spaces you plan to fill. With your flowers. And your cake. Agree on how simple you want the reception venue to look. Fashion layers of decorations to create depth.
- Think your dress. And your groom’s choice of attire. Browse, look, search.
- Decide on entertainment for your guests. Music. Games. The audience from little ones to old ones.
- If you choose to get married abroad you can cut the guest list down. And turn it into a cosy holiday for you and your guests. There are many options and destinations where you could do this.
- Do you want a gift list? Or the more modern choice of a financial gift?
- Etsy has many great ideas. So does Pinterest. Look at other wedding boards. Go to wedding shows and fairs.
- Perhaps choose one thing you each like most. When you read magazines, you can clearly pick up pictures. You can then build into your theme. Keep in mind a glimpse of the whole day so you can picture your wedding day from the moment you wake up till you lay your head on your pillow.
- Remember the Stag and Hen Do’s. Opt in or out. As this isn’t a must. Do fun things. Something that is who you are. Your personality.
- Work on bringing your day together. From the formal ‘I do’s’. Including songs and readings for the church. To how you want it to end. Either a guest book or advice board. Sparklers for all to say good night and exit.
- Lastly, speeches and toasts. Ask in advance so family and friends have time to prepare these public appearances.
Planning should be sketching both your thoughts and ideas together. Four themes that I will look at in another post are ~
- Festival Thrills.
- Afternoon Tea.