More insistently over the last number of months, (although it has been a while), God has been gently teaching me lessons about trusting Him…
The online Cambridge dictionary definition of trust is
1. to believe that someone is good and honest and will not harm you, or that something is safe and reliable:
2. to hope and expect that something is true:
3. the belief that you can trust someone or something:
- Firstly, to believe God, I had to change my thinking (mindset) to recognise in my heart that God is good and honest (not sometimes but always). Only by seeking His truth by searching God’s Word and spending time with Him consistently – was I able to come to the place of total dependence – where I knew that trusting God was both safe and reliable. Now don’t get me wrong, I am not super spiritual, but it has taken alot of life changing events, mistakes and detours to bring me to this place.
Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he’s the one who will keep you on track.
Proverbs 3:5-6 (MSG)
- Secondly, I had to believe first, before I could hope. By placing my complete hope in Christ, I am making an informed decision. Because, He has changed my thinking so that I can believe with my heart that my only hope is in Christ. Because, He is true, He is the truth and nothing or no-one can offer me the hope He graciously bestows upon me.
God— you’re my only hope! Teach me how to live to please you, because you’re my God. Lead me by your blessed Spirit into cleared and level pastureland.
Psalms 143:10 (MSG)
- Thirdly, to believe and to hope, I could then open my heart to the belief the Christ was the only One I want to trust. But, that could only come if I opened my heart to Him totally by making a cognisant decision. You probably thinking how do I do that. Well, you have to be willing to give everything to Christ, yes then listen for His voice in everything. This only can come with time. Again, I am no expert, but I am learning that the more I take the risk to let God be Lord of all in my life, the more I am learning the exact meaning of trust.
Cultivate your own relationship with God, but don’t impose it on others. You’re fortunate if your behavior and your belief are coherent. But if you’re not sure, if you notice that you are acting in ways inconsistent with what you believe—some days trying to impose your opinions on others, other days just trying to please them—then you know that you’re out of line. If the way you live isn’t consistent with what you believe, then it’s wrong.
Romans 14:22-23 (MSG)
Trust is a lifetime journey, but I am so excited at what God has accomplished in my life so far, that I cannot wait to get to know and trust Him more and more!
[Source of video : Trust, Hillsong Young & Free ~ youtube.com]